Sunday 6 March 2016

Writing.

Today is rest day Sunday.

I thought a lot about applying for some of the full time degree courses in uniSIM. It is recently recognized as the 6th local university in Singapore, because of the full time degrees it started offering to people like me, who can apply with my polytechnic diploma.

It was all because of last night, where my dad spent a long time talking to me about my choices for university. Which I didn't blog about last night because I'm too tired handling those kids in work. But yeah, he actually talked to me about my university path last night. Because right then, my only plan was to pursue the psychology degree in SIMge, a private university. I had no other interests at all. In fact I had no real goal/aim in mind. I only know I'm just slightly more interested in studying psychology. That's all I know in mind.

And that is what my dad is trying to drive at. It is precisely because I didn't know what to do, I had no goal in mind, that I should consider applying for other full time degree courses in uniSIM, a local university, such that I will broaden my path and have more opportunities. Rather than solely applying for that psychology degree, where I may/may not get in because if the class size is less than 25, the school will cancel classes for that semester. Like, I can't get in. (Of course he also mentioned about how psychology degree will have less career opportunities, while HR/supply chain degrees etc. have job opportunities everywhere in the newspaper advertisements)

Last night, I was really tired though. This talk, it actually pressurized and stressed me when I was in that state of mood. I felt that my dad had suddenly increased a huge load of stuff to stress about. To worry about. Like then, I had been thinking "okay, I will do this" but then suddenly there comes more. I grew very silent. I barely replied, except stare at my phone, wanting to cry a few times. I told my dad that I'm really stressed.
But he replied that that wasn't his intention at all. It's just that as my father, he is only concerned for my future (like even more than me XD), and feels that he has a duty to say what he feel is best for me. Compared to him, who have lived much longer, who have worked many years and has lots of experience, I'm still naive, young, and just emerging out from school into the adult world. So he wants to input his thoughts into my decisions, rather than simply not caring and leaving me entirely on my own to decide. And at the end of the day, I decide what I want to do. And whatever I decide, my parents will support me fully. Even if in the end, I still decide to take up the psychology degree in SIMge. They'll still support me and fund my university education fully, as they have already set aside money for all their children's educations long time ago.



And it's times like this where I feel that I'm truly blessed to have my father and mother as my parents. The amount of parental love they have for their children is simply incomparable. I don't understand how my older sister could simply hurt them so many times with her actions and words.

Anyway, so back to today, I was a bit more refreshed from sleeping, so I pondered over my dad's words again today.
And I felt that they actually...do make sense ><
Sigh, it makes me feel that I'm really naive and can't think maturely. Like my dad and bro has better steering of their lives than I do ^^"
So anyway, I was looking through the uniSIM's website, and looked at their programnes and the "how to apply" page. They have a detailed step by step application process screenshots, and I saw their personal statement (since there will be interview. Urgh dreaded interviews):

"From your personal experience, select ONE quality that you have acquired. Describe how you acquired it and why that quality is important to you."


At a lost, I messaged Shinobu and Ayano. Both gave similar replies XD
So I decided to write on the quality of perseverance, as I felt I can personally relate best to it. And I spent roughly 2.5 hours this afternoon to come up with this 500-word draft:

One vital quality that I’ve acquired from my personal experience is perseverance. I would like to base that personal experience on the three years which I spent studying the accountancy course in Singapore Polytechnic.

Besides the usual difficulties from adapting into a new environment (from secondary school to polytechnic), learning completely new modules, learning to get out of my comfort zone and socialize more with my peers etc., I was faced with an even bigger obstacle right before graduation. 

That is, during the final year of my poly course, I was on the verge of retainment.

About a couple of months prior to the date when I receive my final semester results, two of my module tutors approached me and told me that my marks for their modules are hanging below the passing mark. If I don’t improve, I will need to retain.
Needless to say, my spirits were crushed. I was mentally drained. However, after confiding with my family and friends about it, I felt that in this situation, it is all the more that I shouldn’t give up. Instead of being continuously depressed about it, I decided to turn this obstacle into the fuel for my determination to graduate successfully.

Hence, after that forewarning, I fought even harder. I focused in lectures, did all my tutorials, revised my work and made sure I understood what’s going on in class. 
I may not know whether I’m going to graduate or retain in the end, but I know that I fought with the mentality that I am going to graduate successfully. 

This is how I acquired the quality of perseverance, and why I felt it is important to me. Without perseverance, I wouldn’t have tried fighting to save my grades. I wouldn’t have pushed on for the last two months of my poly course, despite feeling the weight of having so many worries in my mind. I would have just simply given up and be buried under the feelings of regret and depression.
With my persevering for my final semester exams, I was able to graduate successfully. This enables me to apply for your courses in SIM University now.

I believe that perseverance is a key quality that every person should have, as I feel that there are many instances in life (school, internship, work etc.) which requires us to show perseverance. In these situations, we will be faced with different problems and struggles.

Therefore, for all the courses I’ve chosen in my list of choices (HR management with minor, Social Work with minor, Supply Chain Management with minor *TBC*), perseverance will be important in work related to all their respective fields. Of course, I understand that there is more qualities needed other than perseverance as well. If I am able to obtain a place in one of your courses, I will work hard and attain all the knowledge and experience I need to graduate and be a valuable asset to whichever firm I’ll be working for in the future.

Something like this. I tried my best not to write it in a negative note. I only briefly mentioned the situation, and then proceeded on with the perseverance part already XD
To be honest, once I turn my work resume into a resume suitable for university application, I can already apply for uniSIM online. The problem is just whether my heart is ready. Or do I want to wait until 22 March, where my results are released before I apply, because the closing date is 31 March.
But if I am going to Japan on 26 March (IF), then maybe I'll have to apply right at the moment I know I have graduated successfully, or the next day immediately.

And then at that time, I'll tell my dad I decided to heed his advice, and thank him for talking some sense into me.

My grandaunt also shared with me and my dad how she got into teaching before lunch today. She had raised her hand in secondary school when her teacher asked if anyone wants to be a relief teacher for 3 months. And then, her teacher signed her up to be a teacher without my grandaunt knowing, and that's how she found herself in the teaching career for 39.5 years XDD like that also can.
Then, my grandaunt discovered that she had a passion for counselling and likes helping people, many many years later (so my dad said that it's okay for me not to know what I want to do in life now at 20 years old. I may be like my grandaunt and only discover my true passion many many years later in life). So my grandaunt proceeded to take some counselling courses in uniSIM, not knowing that she's actually an undergrad there. The even more joke thing is, my grandaunt was actually the top student (she's actually really smart. She studied at RGS) and she received some money, but she didn't know and just thought that her performance was "not bad la" XD like damn funny. She had a plague for the top student, but didn't take it with her to the family photoshoot with us simply because she didn't know, and didn't really care about these things. She just wants to study the counselling course XD Grandaunt why you so cute.

She told me that counselling is not about advising, because you cannot tell your clients what to do. It is really up to them to decide what to do. Just like you cannot save people (most often people have to save themselves), but you can only help them. So what she does as a counsellor, is to listen very carefully to what they are troubled with, and facilitate and get them to open up and talk more about it. She says that often when people are encouraged to talk about their worries, they sometimes realize that there's a solution, they can actually do something about it. And she can give maybe suggest some options where they can choose from too. Most importantly, she say, they must know that whatever they tell her will be kept confidential. She will not share it out with anyone (friends, colleagues), unless it's very serious. Serious is when the clients have thoughts of suicide, or are being threatened with death. Then my grandaunt will have to bring this matter up to someone of higher position to handle the matter.
========================================================
I.

Actually tried writing GureShin fanfic today cccccccc:

I was resting on my bed before dinner, and I just opened up the memo in my phone and started typing down what I always had in mind cccc: HAHAHAHAHAHA
I transferred it onto word DOC just now, and it has extended to 1.5 pages long. BWAHA
I can't believe I actually managed to write so long. Last time when I tried writing fanfiction, I could not even go past one sentence without cringing and deleting it. I have no idea how Ayano managed to write much more fanfic stories and share online. Writing fanfiction is tough =3=

But at the same time, very satisfiable. You can unleash your imagination. Make your favourite characters speak and act the way you want them too >:DDD
Hahaha but actually I don't really like seeing characters be too out of character. I know it's a fanfiction but still. I like a fanfiction the best when the author makes the characters stay in character. Then I will feel that I'm truly reading a fanfic about the same characters I know from the manga/anime.

Anyway. It's still in progress. And I won't post it here ccccc:
And no don't need to find it in my tumblr blog. I won't post it there too (yet) XDD

Okay it's already Monday. Sleep.

1 comment: