Friday 22 April 2016

First day of work at UOB Alexandra

The work itself turned out to be more confusing and tedious than I've expected.
When Esther (whom I found out just transferred from office today LOL) interviewed me, she briefed my job will be to sort emails, do filing, and handle the mailman (just helping to stamp and sign).

It turns out that email sorting is the most confusing part of the job, and I practically felt useless the whole day as I sat with their only other temp staff who tried to show me how to do it. My user account wasn't even ready (apparently the staff were all really busy today) and I can't even use my computer until the last half hour of the day, so all I did today was mostly retrieving documents related to those staff who are resigning, and sorting documents. And chopping and signing for the mailman who comes four times a day (Twice to collect, twice to give out mail).

I mean the email sorting is really...more complicated than I thought? Or maybe it's simply because I'm new and it's my first day but.
There's 5 main folders. Inbox (where we sort the stuff), CSA (Centralized System Admin. We sort the emails addressed to any of the ppl in our department here), HR (Resignation, renewal emails go here), Admin ID passwords (some sort of weird code emails go here), and Uplift (all emails with "uplift" word in the title goes here). It sounds simple enough, but the thing is the emails all look so complicated. We need to be able to differentiate which email to print, which email to ignore (mark as unread), which email that is simple enough for us to reply to, what kind of funny email goes to what kind of folder etc. It's actually really messy when you actually see it.

The thing is, my account was done so last minute (only at the end of the day) it doesn't even have access to the shared inbox with all those CSA etc. folders yet. Hopefully by next Monday it will be resolved.

Tomorrow I'm going to face the panel of interviewers who're going to look at my portfolio and academic background.
Will they also judge me for where I came from? Will they judge my final, low sem GPA too?
Tomorrow if they decided not to accept me, I'm completely fine with it. Genuinely.
This means that they think I'm not suitable for their program. Which is great, because then I won't have to suffer unnecessarily there.
If SIMge accepts me into their psychology course, then I'll accept their offer letter and join Yi Ning to study in the same course, in the same university.

Again, there will be people who will definitely look down on my choice.
And again, I will not care.

This year, 2016, will be the year I'll start learning not to be brought down by other people's snide remarks, and just be proud of my personal achievements that are so indifferent and insignificant that nobody will care.

No comments:

Post a Comment